Saturday, November 17, 2012

day 5 - the hardest day

Anyone who has done the Inca trail, or has done research on the Inca trail understands that the second day on the trail is the hardest. This is because of all the climbing done to get to Dead Woman's Pass, the highest point in the trail which is shy of 14,000 ft.

Since I am a slow poke, the guides offered me a chance to get a head start so I wouldn't run the risk of being on the trail at dark. I took advantage and Snoopy, being the good guy he is, came with me.

Without Snoopy, I could not have worked through the day. It was hard, my legs were shaking. I was in tears. Snoopy, without batting an eye, carried my day pack and all of the water for me so I could focus on the trail and getting through the day. Snoopy deserves all the credit in the world for me being able to complete the trail. He knew when it was a good time for me to have my headphones, he knew when to give words of encouragement. I cannot begin to thank him for it.

When the sun started coming out, Snoopy started snapping pictures of the rivers and waterfalls along the way. The higher we got, the more the mist was prevalent. I always loved watching the clouds and mist roll over the Andes. It made them look so majestic and mysterious.
Part of the trail, with the clouds and mist. 

Part of the trail - and look! A Porter! 

Landscapes. 

There were plenty of fresh springs and waterfalls on the trail today. They were soothing to listen to. 


Yeah, that is bridge. It held up but doesn't look sturdy. 

Random Inca wall




We were getting higher and higher, and it felt like the clouds were chasing us

Then we walked through part of a rainforest. It was muggy but cool. The higher we got, the cooler it was. We had to be careful in the rainforest because the rocks were slippery. 

I could hear monkeys but couldn't see any. It was depressing. 

The porters would carry packs like this, and practically run the trail. While I am huffing and puffing, struggling, they run past me. 


We are getting closer to the top! 


Down below, we see a family of llamas! A baby on the move! 


As the morning drew on, the sun busted up a lot of the mist and clouds, revealing breathtaking views of the mountains.

haha! Llama! 


This is the mountain we had been climbing. I think. 

An easier part of the trail - oh man! Almost to the top! So Close! 


I could have kissed this sign!!! I was so happy to be finished with the climb! 

The clouds returned when we got to the top. This is the view down as weary hikers straggle in. Remember, I had a head start.

The other side. This was the beginning of the way down. 
The trail with hikers coming in slowly. 

This picture is funny. While on the way down, we had to put the camera up because it started to rain. I was able to take the camera and my day pack from Snoopy on the way down because going down was easier on me and he needed a break. Not to mention, I had a pancho which would keep the camera safe from the rain. Since I fell so many times, including into a puddle, I needed Snoopy to make sure the camera was ok and that I didn't crack anything. Alas - here are the tents as the test shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment