Friday, March 16, 2012

edinburgh, scotland, uk

This day started out with a 2 and a half train ride from our little village to Edinburgh. While on the train, I saw spectacular views of the harbors, the oceanside, fields littered with grazing sheep, many other small villages and two major bridges. The view that welcomed me to Edinburgh was from the train coming out from a tunnel to a breathtaking view of the castle that seems to grow straight out of the rock.

Across the street from Waverley train station. This is the monument that greeted me. 

Balmore Hotel - just outside of the station

Memorial to Walter Scott


I climbed up to the top of the Walter Scott memorial, this was one of the pictures I snapped

Entry to Edinburgh Castle

View from the  north castle wall

view from north castle wall

Inside the castle, it is more like a small village

cannon with view from the half moon battery

looking down Royal Mile

St. Giles Cathedral

entry to St. Giles Cathedral

another look down Royal Mile


Cannongate Church

cemetery at Cannongate Church



I was sad to leave Edinburgh, but little did I know, I was going back again another day.

On the ride home as we crossed the first harbor, I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets I had ever seen over the water. I made it home and missed Edinburgh already.

No comments:

Post a Comment